*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
(You’ll find a short vocabulary list at the bottom of this article containing the underlined words. If there are any other words you don’t understand, don’t hesitate to ask).
Today I’m going to discuss how you can improve your English with a kindle.
Here are the things I’m going to talk about in the post:
- Kindle vs book
- How can a kindle improve my English?
- How to use the Kindle for English learning
- Why should you invest in a kindle?
Kindle vs book
Have you tried an e-book reader before? Or do you prefer to read printed books? Or do you maybe even read your e-book on the tablet or the computer? I only started using an e-book reader, a kindle to be exact, very recently. I always preferred holding a printed book in my hand. And when I had an e-book to look at, I used my computer for reading it. However, having started to use my kindle, I quickly saw the advantages it has to offer.
Some general advantages are:
- Better for your eyes, than a laptop or a tablet
- Easier to carry and hold than a laptop and a tablet because it weighs much less
- More efficient than Kindle apps available on iPhone or Android
- Waterproofed versions available
- Once charged, the Kindle has a long battery life
How can a kindle improve my English?
Besides the general advantages it is great for language learners because:
- Books are cheaper. The books cost less than conventional paperbacks or hardbacks
- Easy to find specific literature for you – makes it more user-friendly
- You can find books in target language easily
- Integrated English-English dictionary gives simple definitions of words, meaning less time to look-up words
- There is also a built-in dictionary so you can translate into your native language
- You can improve both reading and listening skills. You can listen to audiobook version while reading
- In contrast to local libraries, there are wide range of e-books available in English on Amazon Prime* or Kindle unlimited*. (And the best you can try both 30 days for free)
And if you would like to learn how to sound like a brit, Download this amazing guide!
How to use the Kindle for English learning?
Kindle is an easy tool to use. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use it for language learning
Buying a book
Click on the top of the Kindle screen. Then tap store and then you have the following screen:
Alternatively, you can download a book onto your computer and copy it from there onto the kindle.
Choosing a book from the library
Click on library, then you have the screen, as below, with all your books. Tap on the book you would like to read.
Reading and Using a dictionary
Tap on the three dots at the side of the screen. Then tap on settings.
Then click on language and dictionaries. Once you click on dictionary, you can choose from the different dictionaries.
To look up a word in the dictionary, you hold your finger on the word and the Kindle will underline it. You will then see a dialog box with the meaning of the word:
Different types of kindles
If you now feel like looking into investing in a kindle you will soon see that there are different kinds on the market. Let me give you a short overview over the different kinds.
|Kindle*||Kindle Paperwhite*||Kindle Oasis*|
|Display size||6 Inches (15 cm) glare-free||6 Inches (15 cm) glare-free||7 Inches (17 cm) glare-free|
|Disk Space||4 GB||8 or 32 GB||8 or 32 GB|
|Resolution||167 ppi||300 ppi||300 ppi|
|Auto adjusting light sensor||no||no||yes|
Finally: Why should you invest in a kindle?
Kindle is the perfect guide to improve your English. It is not only book reader, but also a fantastic tool which can, with the help of the integrated dictionary, make finding the meaning of a word much quicker.
Furthermore, you can improve your listening skills by downloading audiobooks onto the Kindle. This way you improve two skills: listening and reading.